I bought compost and soil and tilled them into my garden plot today and my DH thought I should plant all the way to the fence and house, so he tilled the additional area for me. I ran out of fencing stuff to keep the dog out, so I will have to go get more. But the bottom line is that my garden plan had to change because I now had much more room. I mostly just added tomatoes and lettuce to my plan.
I am also now a bit nervous about planting. I was talking to someone last night who has lived here for a while and she said the rule of thumb is not to plant anything until after Mother's Day because the weather here is so unpredictable. So maybe I'm being a bit too ambitious. I will be upset if I plant and my stuff freezes. Ugh.
That's the rule here and I've found it tends to be pretty accurate. I think I'm going to give my garden a rest this year. Not sure that I need another project over the summer! :)
ReplyDeleteHi Tammy,
ReplyDeleteI think some crops will survive a frost, such as lettuce, broccoli, peas, carrots, radishes, and the like. But for tomatoes, peppers, melons, etc, I would wait until after the last frost date. Although we have a warm climate here, it is still pretty cold in Feb when I typically plant peas.