Saturday, June 27, 2009

Week 15

Knock on wood - we haven't lost anything else to the gopher (unless that's what's killing off my potatoes).

We have had several summer squash and I'm going to try a couple of new recipes with them soon.

We picked some carrots the other day and they were twisted around each other. They are a baby carrot variety, so they won't get huge, but the ones we've picked aren't very sweet. So I'm not sure they are ripe (do you call carrots ripe?) yet.

I picked my first beet today. I also think the garlic is ready, but I'm not sure... The pole beans haven't produced yet, but the bush bean is full of beans. I've picked a couple, but I'm going to try and get a whole batch at once so I can serve them at dinner.

There is at least one nice looking (but baby-sized at this point) butternut squash on the one vine. I have 2 other vines - and the one that I'm growing up our pole is vining up the pole really well. I think butternuts are one of the easiest to train up a pole. I have 2 other squashes that I was planning to train up the pole, but they are too tiny and aren't doing much; I think they are cramped.

Here's a pic of what we picked today (hmm..zucchini might have been picked yesterday?). Anyway, the one carrot top had a nicer carrot on it, but it got eaten before the camera came out.

1 comment: